Wednesday 24 May 2017

A lesson in live tweeting

For this blog I thought I would talk about my experience of covering the Vice Chancellor’s Student Experience Awards.

This was the first time I had been able to attend these awards and I wasn’t sure what to expect. Luckily I was privy to who the winners were beforehand and was able to prepare in advance (Comms team perk!)

Twitter on a smartphone has a lovely function where you can save draft tweets – this has saved my bacon on a number of occasions when I have been live-tweeting.

Armed with the trusty #VCSEA17 hashtag, I wrote a tweet for each winner and saved it as a draft, ready to slot in a photo and send out when the time came. I also took a bit of time to find out if the winners had Twitter accounts that I could use while tweeting. Working at Bedfordshire has taught me many things, but when it comes to live tweeting, preparation is everything!

The hard work paid off when I got back to the office the next day and realised that the Twitter activity as a result of my tweeting had earned us 14,000 impressions in just one day!
Once the awards got underway, it was fantastic to see the reaction of the winners as they went up to collect their awards. One highlight was Customer Services Advisor Arsalan Sheikh who jumped for joy when his name was called out (no jokes, he actually did!)

Another highlight for me was that I was aware that PhD student Jolel Miah, who I know well, had won the Deputy Lieutenant Community Engagement Award. He of course didn’t know this, and keeping it quiet beforehand was a challenge, but the look on his face when he realised he had won was priceless!

I’d like to say a huge congratulations to all the winners of this year’s awards. You can see the full list of winners here.

2 comments:

  1. Gunning for a nomination. Next year.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Offer Loan At A Very Low Rate Of 3%. If Interested, Kindly Contact Us via email now (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete