Monday 19 February 2018

The Future of Higher Education


As part of my role, I work on policy related matters; such as a recent policy work has been a call for evidence by the government as to what the value for money a degree holds and the social and economic impact of international students or simply doing some research of how a prospective policy should be framed.

As for the topic of today, I would like to talk about the future of higher education.


How do we envision higher education by 2050?

Would we still have classrooms, physical establishment and lecturers?

Or

Our higher education will be delivered at home through a virtual reality set with no need for a physical establishment and instead of lecturers we have big data backed by research and facts.

Something like Google but instant and focused on our subject question with a tailored approach.


It makes me wonder!

I believe (optimistically) that affordable access to high quality higher education and education, in general, would be widened. This progressive change of being able to watch lectures/seminars of top universities from the comfort of your home is a great force for good and I hope it stays this way.

For instance, you could now learn various subjects from mathematics to quantum physics on MIT’s YouTube channel for free.

You could get a university degree through online learning without setting foot on the university’s campus and it’s cheaper too.

Or

Let’s flip the idea on its head and think in the opposite direction. What if we will have no higher education in 2050?

Instead we will have a hybrid form of apprenticeships with on the job learning, through online courses and a living wage pay from the age of 18.

The possibilities are endless.

What do you think would be the future of higher education?

Will we even have a higher education sector?

Only time will tell what might happen.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I have two major fears about blended learning, as someone currently on an OU course. You're right; it's cheaper. My fees are affordable. It's convenient too; I can fit studies around work no problem.

    I have, however, found the lack of contact with lecturer and fellow students a real issue. I can contact, but it doesn't 'just happen' like it would if I attended uni. I'm getting an education experience which is good, but feels distinctly cut price.

    Which leads me to me second concern. Two tiers of study, driven by price and affordability, which will impose a new dynamic and a step backwards, where access to 'complicated', academic and contact-intensive courses will come to be dominated with those more likely to afford it.

    I hope I'm wrong in these fear. I often am. I totally agree that new technology should be used for the good, but my recent experience with a DL provider of nearly 50 years standing is that online and blended should really supplement rather than replace traditional teaching methods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very thought provoking post Ibraham! I certainly hope higher education becomes more affordable in the future, however I also agree with Andy and think that an entirely online higher education system would be a shame. Not only from an educational point of view, I think society would look pretty lonely if no one had to physically go to university anymore! I learnt a lot of life and social skills at uni that couldn't possibly be replaced by staying at home and learning from a computer, so from that point of view I think it's irreplaceable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I think you could make a very similar point about accelerated degrees.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments Andy and Ellie. I do agree as well, perhaps society will find a way around the isolation of distance learners. I agree on the point of how university is an experience not just a degree, it would be a shame if lack of contact becomes norm.

    ReplyDelete