Friday 9 February 2018

The art of 'up-skilling'

I'll be honest, I felt a little uninspired when it came to writing my blog post this week. A great deal of the team's time has been taken up with the 2019 Undergraduate Prospectus over the last few weeks, and I think we've all gone a bit crazy and cross-eyed from the proof-reading! It's not quite ready to be revealed yet, so I'll leave that for one of the team to do when it is. 

Instead I thought I'd rather talk to you about some of the new skills Sara and I have been learning thanks to our manager, David. He has previously spent time as a graphic designer, and he has a lot of creative skills that would be incredibly useful to us, so has made it his mission to 'up-skill' us over the next few months. 

Photoshop  -

Although we have a working knowledge of Photoshop, we've recently been exploring some more unique design ideas, including something called 'double exposure'. I don't take to learning slowly, so I said I'd figure it out, and off I went. On my third (!!) attempt I managed to create this...





It's still a work in progress, but I could barely re-size a picture four months ago, let alone layer two separate images over each other! We're looking forward to being able to replicate these kinds of techniques in the campaign work we do over the next few weeks, so watch this space.

Dreamweaver/Coding/HTML (whatever you want to call it) -

The other skill David has been encouraging us to learn, is how to code. We write a fair few emails, and occasionally problems arise with them that can only be fixed by going into the HTML code, and figuring out what's gone awry. Designing them works in a similar way - the software we use has limitations, and knowing how to create tables and change text formats through code comes in quite handy. It's a complicated process and I didn't think I was taking any of it on-board until last week when I 'broke' an email, went into the HTML, and fixed it. Pretty cool, huh? 

I even just went into the code of this blog post to try and figure out why the picture above isn't centered like it should be. Ironically, I can't make any sense of it! But in the words of Hannibal Smith - "Give me a minute, I'm good. Give me an hour, I'm great. Give me six months? I'm unbeatable." So check back in with me in August, okay?! 


Me coding, funnily enough. Caffeine helps. 
And there you have it, as far as the art of 'up-skilling' is going, David's doing a pretty good job. We'll be better than him in no time. But I think that might be the point. 

Until next time. Over and Out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment