Wednesday 1 November 2017

Hi, مرحبا, 你好

Hi, my name is Ibraham and this is my first blog post. I have been asked to write a blog and I am happy to do that.

Anyhow, let me introduce myself dear reader. I was born in the UK, grew up in Jordan, Middle East, lived for a while in China and then came back to the UK. I am a fellow of the RSA (Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce) a think tank/social action establishment whose slogan is “21st century enlightenment”. I have graduated from this lovely university with a bachelor degree in Business Studies International. I enjoy books, volunteering, sports and philosophy.



My greatest passion currently is social innovation and social entrepreneurship. Social entrepreneurs, start-up social enterprises if you are not familiar with a social enterprise I like to define it as: A charity that makes money that has enhanced impact and is sustainable. Currently in the UK a social enterprise has 3 times the start-up rate, compared to a conventional business. Furthermore, according the IOD (Institute of Directors) they said that social enterprise is the future of business in the UK. Lastly, the UK has the largest social enterprise sector to date in the world. For instance Co-op and fair trade are examples of a social enterprise.

At the university, I work as the Policy and Events Assistant in the Vice Chancellor’s office. This is my first ‘proper’ job and I am really excited about this. As to what I do, I spend my days chasing cats……. well, not really. I help out with policy work, events and I spend one day a week with MARC to help out with whatever needed. So far, I have been really enjoying this job and I have met a lot of interesting people. I had no idea, the extent of systems and structures that the university employ.

Also, it is the same establishment I could notice differences between the departments I work at for example the Vice Chancellor’s Office has many visitors, people do get along well and everyone is just lovely. On the other hand, at the MARC department they are easy going with a friendly atmosphere. However, I can’t seem to make up my mind to who is my favourite.

I started working at the end of September of this year and I am on a graduate placement. I have learned a great deal and I am looking forward to learning more during the following months.

If you could spare a few hours in the week why not volunteer. There are lot of organisations that could use your skills and experience. Especially people as talented as yourself.


Lastly, I hope you have enjoyed this piece and if there is anything I can help you with please do tell me. I am also learning Law and I am bit stuck on this one, so feel free to contact me, if you are willing to give any advice.


Thank you J  

2 comments: