Thursday 12 October 2017

Marketing for Gen Z, by a Millennial




One thing has become very apparent to me over the last few years, and that is that I’m what the analysts and psychologists call a ‘millennial’. As well as this, I’ve learnt that being a ‘millennial’ means that pretty much everyone in the world hates us. Parents hate us because they think we're privileged and rude and we don't care enough about our elders to look after them as they grow old. Companies hate us because there's no rhyme or reason to our spending habits, social media usage or where we can be found in the market. Teachers hate us because they claim we've 'never been told no' and they can't deal with our attitude problems. Essentially, as a generation, I’m well aware that we’re not really liked or appreciated by anyone.




Bit sombre to start a jolly marketing blog post with huh? But that’s just how I feel. I being me, Ellie, the new Marketing Assistant by the way. Nice to meet you! I swear I’m not always this dark and full of self-loathing – I’m actually probably the loudest person in a room at any given time. I also have an undying love for bright coloured lipsticks, stationery and any kind of mint chocolate. I imagine you’ll be able to spot me from a mile away. I’m newly graduated from Bournemouth University with a Media and Communications degree so I’ve dabbled in pretty much every sector under the media/marketing sun. I also did a placement year with the Walt Disney Company that people tell me to mention a lot when I’m speaking about myself. (All jokes aside, as well as having a very large name, the very large company taught me almost everything I know about working hard and efficiently. And having fun, see above!). And now I’m working here and ranting at you about millennial issues!


What I think I’m trying to explain is that being a ‘millennial’ or a ‘Gen Z’ - which most of our target market are - is not something to resent. They’re not aliens and they don’t hate everything, they just want to be intelligently targeted. Their whole worlds are consumed by media (some by choice, some not) and they’re just muddling through, trying to decide what’s important, what’s genuine and what inspires them. I would know.

What it means is that we (UoB) have scope to do newer things now more than ever before. Embrace the ‘young people’ for what they are and move on. Including me! I don’t know whether it’s because I’m new and determined to prove myself or just because I know how much of an impact the MARC team can have on a student’s experience, but I’m the closest thing we’ve got to a ‘millennial/Gen Z’ right now. PLEASE USE ME! Whether it’s a communication that sounds a bit corporate or a design feature that needs updating, there’s a strong chance I might be able to give you an idea of what might work for our audience. It wasn’t so long ago that I was going through the uni application process myself.

So yeah. There’s my mini introduction and a rant about how everyone hates millennial’s but targeting them isn’t so hard after all! If you’ve got any questions and/or areas of contention, please come and have a chat. I genuinely love what I’ve studied and what I now have a career in (how bizarre, right!?) so I’m always happy to talk about it.


Until next time. Over and out. 


(This picture's for you Andy and David, isn't this what you're always telling me?!)

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. It would help, however, if we could more conveniently appeal to you Millenials. Us Baby Boomers were easily won with Top Trumps and football stickers.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest Pokemon cards, us millennials can't resist a shiny charizard...

    ReplyDelete