Wednesday 5 April 2017

Team profile – Andy Kingston, Market Research Manager

An interview I carried out while I was in reflective mood, wondering what to write in this week's blog. A profile? I thought. That's usually the thing for when other ideas don't leap out and announce themselves. Everyone else was busy, so I interviewed myself.

Douglas Adams sponsored
Market Researcher work transport
When were you first aware of market research?
First exposure? Douglas Adams, who proposed market researchers be sent into space on a one way ticket. I had no idea what market research was, but laughed anyway. I was at an impressionable age and enjoying The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. My excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Fast forward 10 years and I was working agency-side. Bigger teams than I have now (see below); more rigorous, bespoke survey data . Usually the same result however: I was just able to more categorically report, mutter a few 'actionable findings' then offer soon-to-be-shelved recommendations.

The face of academic reasearch......
So what is this “market research”?
Most of us are familiar with the concept of  academic ‘research’. The Uni's work in Child Exploitation, Cyber Crime, Computing etc etc is globally respected. In cinematic terms, we’re talking Citizen Kane, The Battleship Potemkin, Reservoir Dogs or Moonlight.

And Market research?
Quick and dirty. Like shopping channels or infomercials. Less 'Champagne', more 'Pomagne'. Market research is a quick grab confirming something most already knew but needed to validate or quantify.

Err, ok. Isn’t this all a little self-deprecating and-WAIT…. hang on. Shopping channels fulfil a need. Their customers may be strange, but they’re out there. Same here at Uni. Sometimes I feel like a data gimp; an expert in ‘nothing much’, except making tea for the Comms team. I used to write considered reports; now outcomes are expected from two line briefs on two hour deadlines. Sometimes I'm asked for historical evidence for future initiatives - or it feels that way.

....the madness of market research-uh
But when work requests are structured, sensible and briefed - and sometimes they are - I get a grasp of what’s going on across the Uni. And I try to keep up with the sector. It can be pretty stimulating.

I’m a nail chewing passive aggressive spread sheet loner one day; a carefree existentialist the other.

Yes. Tell us about the team
I manage two entirely fictitious colleagues. Sadly, one is long-term sick. The other despises me. I sit within the Marcoms team and shrug when success stories, blue sky optimisation and other fancy terms for advertising are tried out on me.

Any nicknames?
Yes. Survey Kid. Cohort Bloke. NCP Boy.

But your work is important?
Yes. And I'm grateful to those colleagues who respect my professionalism and talk through objectives and results.

Are you growing as a professional?
I manage to do bits of staff development here and there. Last November, I attended an HE 'Market Researchers’ convention. Half the attendees – like me – were grateful to know that others share the pain of being the only ones to 'market research' in their organisations.Other delegates were escaping from vast teams for a couple of days and realised their particular uni was over-resourced.
PARTY TIME! LOL

Do you enjoy parties?
No. I prefer ‘outsider’ music, Russian novelists, chess and cinematic dystopias. Marketing sparkle, Recruitment have a tab behind the bar, Admissions keep things moving and Comms tell fantastic stories. Before I even order the first drink, I'm analysing the menu and team demographics before trying to recruit a group discussion. And then run a survey on the four or five possible choices that came out.

Special guy. Where can I find out more?
Well, you could look at my intranet pages. They're a lot of fun..

Thank you. It’s been a pleasure.
I’m sure it must have.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete