Monday 23 January 2017

Milton Keynes is 50 and we are celebrating



The University of Bedfordshire as a name covers the institutions two largest campuses, based in Bedford and Luton. Beyond Bedfordshire though, are two further campuses in neighbouring Bucks. Aylesbury, dedicated to nursing and Milton Keynes, currently known as University Campus Milton Keynes (UCMK), and this week the ‘new city’ celebrates its 50th birthday, I know what you are thinking, it’s some diva of a place with an inflated self sense of importance that has a birthday, right?

Through partnerships the University of Bedfordshire has had a presence in Milton Keynes (MK) since 2008, and in 2012 opened its very own campus. Although slightly modest in scale, the campus is pioneering higher education in the city where others have failed. Footnote – as a resident of MK I shall be as all Milton Keyners do, referring to the town as a city, despite it never being granted such status.

I quite enjoy my days working from the MK campus, not least because it is just a five minute drive from my house in the east of the city. Taking up residency there in 2008, it has become my home for nearly nine years, and like they say about marmite, I genuinely think you love it or hate it. I hated it. Back in 2008 moving from the hustle and bustle grit of the West Midlands, I came to MK thinking what the hell is there to do?

I had previously been living in Coventry, home of The Specials, its famous Cathedral and CCFC, MK had a football team they stole from Wimbledon and what else? Funny you ask, you did, I know you are wondering. Home of the code breakers at Bletchley Park, Red Bull Racing, PJ Harvey recorded her 2000 album Stories from the Sea in Linford Manor, Greg Rutherford is often in Nandos at the Hub, the likes of David Bowie, Queen and more recently Foo Fighters graced the stage at the National Bowl, the only place to produce WD40, we have the MK Dons, and the list goes on. So it didn’t take long for me to change that hate it, to love it.

From my journey across the eastside to Central MK where UCMK is situated, it isn’t hard not to fall in love with the place for its sheer landscape alone, MK is 40% green space by the way. Driving across the picturesque Willen Lakes, built to balance out excess water from the river Ouzel and prevent the city from flooding, and heading past the iconic Peace Pagoda, a symbol of the progressive 1960’s era the city was planned in. Then along a grid road, the H5 Portway to be precise, which gets me to my destination without too much of the standard city centre jams most commuters experience.

I don’t have to drive around the city though, on a lovely summers day a cycle along five of the 160 miles of redways will get me where I need to be, Santander bikes are also available to hire with MK being the only city outside of London to proactively encourage residents and visitors alike to commute in this way.

It isn’t just the surroundings as to why I love MK though. No it is the lively under current of culture, live music, festivals, arts and community at is happening everyday, and albeit you sometimes have to seek it out, I can assure you it is there for everyone to enjoy. It is also the economy that makes MK so desirable, one of the fastest growing in the UK and contributes more than nine billion a year to the British economy and the recreational activities, such as the SnoZone, where if you like me, can take out three defenseless amateur snowboarders, while pretending to be as useless as a celebrity on Channels 4’s The Jump.

50 years ago MK was a bit of a punt, it is unique with no town planned like it again, and for those who work, live and study here, it offers a way of life we can all take advantage of. So back to what you are thinking, yes, MK does deserve to have an inflated self sense of importance. Happy birthday Milton Keynes, from all of us at the University of Bedfordshire, here is our gift to you.



1 comment:

  1. MK can be proud of WD40. Not so sure about the football....

    ReplyDelete